Wednesday, July 20, 2011

We do not see things as they are..

You really don't know what you have until it's gone. As cliche' as that sounds it couldn't be more true for me right now. In one of my previous post I explained how much I'm not liking my move to Miami and I wanted to give a little more insight to that so you can understand exactly how I feel. By the way, thank you guys so much for your encouraging words. I really appreciate it. Nice to know you are listening reading.

When I was at Bethune-Cookman (my previous school) I did nothing but complain about how much I didn't like it. Everyone around me would, actually. We had nothing nice to say about it, but we all had one thing in common. We all couldn't wait to come back after summer break. Yes, so hypocritical. Even though we complained, Bethune was a place you got use to, somewhere you learned to enjoy. It was your home away from home. 

The bottom line is now that I'm here in Miami I realized what I left behind. I left my very best friend along with many other close friends, the convenience of the campus, my organization, the empowerment from being at an HBCU, my boyfriend, that home feeling and my happiness. The main thing is that I realized how happy I actually was there. Especially since I have something to compare it to. I understand the opportunities this school and living in Miami can bring me, but it's not the only way. 
entire outfit thrifted + shoes- charlotte russe

I'm a traditional college kind of girl. So, this type of school just isn't for me. At least not yet. The atmosphere is just so different here and not in a good way. It's not welcoming, very cold. To be at an art school I just don't see the enthusiasm I thought I would. So, I won't be staying. I'm fine with finding a different way into the fashion industry. This way just isn't for me. 

P.S. sorry for the bad quality pics. I shot on my balcony which gets NO light.  My face seriously looks like shit!

16 comments:

  1. are you going to return to Bethune to finish? or are you not going to school all together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand Jenn, its Jess (@_jnicole_) on twitter... make sure your happy, stay focused,best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jess.

    @MT: Yes, I'm just going to finish up at Bethune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVING those shorts!! Like seriously, that striped top goes PERFECTLY with it. I am DEFINITELY a fan!!

    http://mythriftedcloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have great style! Love this look! With the braids it really works!!! Love it! Nice blog...now following :-)

    Roni
    www.styleandpoise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. your outfit is wicked love it!!

    Don't forget to enter my giveaway contest!! :)

    http://coilymystic.blogspot.com/
    https://zoelove.bigcartel.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, you made the BEST decision for YOU! Being able to compare and to see that you actually WANT to be at Bethune as oppose to you feeling that you were stuck there will benefit you 10 fold! Secondly, I really love this high waist shorts/oversized striped crop shirt nude shoe outfit (can you tell from the way I described your outfit I am NOT a fashionista..lol) Keep your head up and experiences gives us life!!! Welcome to living!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like those shorts & the nude heels! at least you decided this early & had the courage. And at least it's not too far of a move from Miami to BCC. I left Miami, but one of my friends went to BCC & is in the band there.
    With this blog, the awesome way you put clothes together & some networking where you live & online, you can probably go far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @makeupbysherryblossom: You understand!! Glad I explained it right. And I describe the outfit the same way lol.

    @crystal: That's exactly the conclusion I came to. Online and networking can help me get to where I want to be. Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!! I hope that we can follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww I'm sorry you aren't happy here. :/ Didn't get to meet. But best of luck to youuu.
    -Anjelika

    ReplyDelete
  12. Young Sista, you just got there. I don't think you've given it enough time. I'm from Ft. Lauderdale which is about 10miles outside of Miami and I went to FAMU, so I know the homely feeling that you say you miss. Miami is more city like and fast pace. Are you at UM or FIU? I think you should give it more time. Yes, there are other ways into the industry but you've already sacrificed a lot by moving there. Don't throw it all away. Continue to Chase your dream!!! Miami will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand what you're saying but I know for a fact that I don't like it. Even when I first got to BCU I had the same feeling but not as much as I do now. I just know there's no possibility of me liking it and it's going on a month now. At BCU it only took a week to get use to it. Also, I really don't like the quarter system the school has, I rather do two semesters and I'd rather go to an HBCU as well. Plus, I really miss my friends. I go to MIU.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is extremely commendable that you are able to be so honest with yourself and that you have such a clear idea of not only what you want but how you want to attain it. Change is never easy, but there really is no use staying in an environment that is not nourishing your spirit. If anything, such an environment can harm you instead of taking you to the places you want to be. It's great that you have this experience at this new school under your belt so that you can look back on it down the road. (And might I add, your outfit is absolutely adorable!)

    That GOOD GOOD Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Dee O.: Ahh! Thanks for understanding. I'm sick of hearing people tell me I haven't gave it a chance and I just need more time to adjust. When the thing is, I know how I feel. I know what I like and what I don't like. I know that I've been here long enough to know I don't like it. Do they want me to sit around and be miserable??

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback!